The Boys Are Back In Town: ‘Mance’ team makes anticipated return

Sarah Lindsay

The ‘Mance’ team gets in formation as a full squad. They practice often to perfect their moves.

Jackson Stanley, News Writer

Men’s dance team, more commonly known as “Mance” is a group of select seniors chosen to perform choreographed routines and encourage school spirit. Sadly last year students had to muster their own spirit. Finally, after a an entire year of going without one, the Mance team has returned. With the return of Mance comes the opportunity to celebrate West and its student body.

“Our goals are to increase school spirit, make people laugh and brighten peoples’ days,” senior Mancer Gabe Spindel said.

As part of the Mance tradition the team has three captains and choreographers; this year’s team is led by Jenny Lew, Marissa Varoutsos and Emily Jordan. Not only is the Mance team fueling the wildfire of spirit and cheer around school, they are breaking down barriers.

“I like being on the Mance team because I get to challenge society’s norms by wearing different clothing,” Mance senior Drew Kanicki said.

As the school year continues, Mance will continue to increase morale and enthusiasm at school. But what motivates these dancers many may ask?

“As a freshman I liked the team because I enjoyed its humor and the idea of humiliating myself in front of the whole school. School spirit is cool and you shouldn’t be afraid to show it,” Kanicki said.

Having already performed at freshman orientation, the Mance squad has its sights set on homecoming and various other school functions for the remainder of the year.

School spirit is cool, and you shouldn’t be afraid to show it.

— senior Mancer Drew Kanicki