Athlete Of The Month: Macy Smith

Casey Griffith, Sports Writer

We all have parts we play in everyday life. As a forward on the varsity field hockey team, sophomore Macy Smith plays an important one. Smith’s job is to communicate with the center players to get the ball up the field and into the goal. She has accomplished this and more, leading the team with six goals so far this season. Smith has been playing field hockey for a year and a half, this being her first year on varsity. She was encouraged to look into the sport by a friend who played club, so she attended a practice to watch and was intrigued.
“It was something that I saw and thought I could do, so I took it on,” Smith said.

Being an underclassman on a varsity team has the potential to be intimidating, but Smith has had her teammates to help her adjust.

“The upperclassmen have been really supportive of me, and they’re always looking out for my plays and telling me what I did well and what I can improve on,” Smith said.

Smith worked hard over the summer to train and become a better player so she could make the varsity team.

“She trained all summer with a team at Twin City, and I definitely think that helped her improve. She’s extremely in shape, and we’re pumped to have her for two more years. Her aggression in the game is amazing. Aggression isn’t something you can coach; you either have it or you don’t, and Macy definitely has it,” varsity coach Mike Bryant said.

Smith’s passion for field hockey is clear to her teammates and coach.

“You can definitely tell she’s passionate about it, and we love that,” Bryant added.

In the future Smith hopes to be a role model for her teammates like they have been for her and to continue her field hockey career. Smith has helped lead her team to a 5-9 record.

Here are some fun facts about Smith:

Favorite food: Pizza

Personal goal: Continue to improve, get a college scholarship for field hockey and continue to be a good teammate

Embarrassing childhood memory: Getting hit in the head by a soccer ball while looking at an airplane during a recreational soccer game

Favorite game: Uno

Favorite professional athlete: Christian McCaffrey