Cool Down at Common Grounds: Enjoy a tasty drink at River Oaks

Pebbles Forbus

Free smoothies and iced coffees are given to all students at Common Grounds.

Ashley Reyes-Turcios, Features Guest Writer

Need a refreshing drink? River Oaks Community Church is offering free smoothies and iced coffee to students after school. A pastor noticed the number of students who parked at the church or waited for a ride and came up with the idea of welcoming students into the church. The church has always had its doors open to students, a couple of years ago the youth pastor Brian Edmonds would provide breakfast to the students who parked at the church.
The Common Ground Bar is open on Tuesdays from 3:40-5:30 p.m., allowing students to enjoy their time there, and is open to all students. The main drinks offered are strawberry and mango smoothies, iced coffee, and sometimes even caramel frappes.
To some students, the best part of going to Common Grounds is trying out the different flavors of smoothies and seeing what else the church has to offer.
“My favorite part of the church after school is the delicious smoothies they serve every Tuesday, it’s a great incentive and it makes students want to learn more about what else the church has to offer,” junior Kiara Diaz said.
“In an environment where if they need to come to do their homework, they have a space here to do their homework or if they want to hang out with friends,” church member Pebbles Forbus said. The number of students attending the bar was a bit of a surprise for the members of the church. “I think we thought maybe 40 kids would come and that would be great, so 100 is amazing,” Forbus said.
“The amount of students who go is crazy but it is nice because you don’t know who you will run into or who you will see entering the door,” sophomore Darrin Canlas said.
Common Grounds is a place where everyone can just join in and have fun whenever they need.
“I definitely think the church should give out smoothies more often because it brings everyone together,” freshman Rachael Perez said.
Since so many students attend on Tuesdays, church workers are able to talk and get to know some students who don’t attend church.
“It’s been fun just to meet other people and students and be there for them and hear about their lives,” Forbus said.
The church also gives students the opportunity to utilize their gym to play basketball or simply hang out. The church is a welcoming place for students in need of a refreshing drink on a hot spring Tuesday.