Hitting Deep: Top 5 Times TV shows dug deeper

Ella Ashby

Some TV show themes go deeper than the surface.

Kaylee Styers, Features Writer

Growing up we watch a lot of TV shows that can influence our everyday lives. Not only do shows give a good laugh, they can also convey meaningful messages. Here are my five top picks for episodes that tackle deeper issues.
5. “Gilmore Girls” (“A Year in the Life” Netflix special)
After the passing of Richard, Rory’s grandfather and Lorelei’s father passes away, his wife Emily takes the death of her husband very hard. Emily begins to act differently from her typical self – she starts to give up her routines, housework and social life; we even see her in casual clothing which is very unlike her character. We see Emily grieving in sadness and anger towards Lorelei and Rory. At the end of the season, we see Emily concluding her journey of grief and coming to an understanding that Richard is gone.
4. “Dawson’s Creek” (“True Love” Season: 3 EP: 23)
When Jack McPhee comes out as gay, his friends immediately approve and are accepting, but his father does not, causing multiple episodes of conflicts between them. The tension between the two comes to an end when Jack’s father realizes that no matter what, Jack is his son and accepts him for who he loves. Not only do the viewers see the reality of how difficult it is to have a parent who disapproves of who you love, but in the season finale “True Love” we see Jack share a kiss with Ethan, his love interest, which is the first primetime television show kiss between two men.
3. “Boy Meets World” (“Everybody Loves Stuart” Season: 6 EP: 7)
When the couple, Topanga and Cory’s new college professor, Stuart, inappropriately forces himself on Topanga. Cory walks in, causing them to fight, this leads to a trip to the dean with the possibility of being expelled. During the meeting with the dean, Stuart lies and dismisses everything The dean eventually realizes Stuart’s true character. The teacher never appeared again, leading the audience to assume he was fired. This episode touches on so many issues including being taken advantage of by a higher authority, speaking up, and victim-blaming, which are very important issues, especially in a college setting.
2. “Full House” (“Shape Up” Season: 4 EP: 8)
In this episode, DJ doesn’t feel “skinny enough” to wear a bathing suit to the pool with her friend. This causes her to start starving herself, over-exercise and almost pass out. In the classic “Full House” style, they talk it out as a family and explain the dangers of eating disorders, showing DJ that she doesn’t have to look like an unrealistic model. This episode was especially important at the time since the beauty standards of the ‘90s were affecting a large number of teenagers
.1.“The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” (“Papa’s Got a Brand New Excuse” Season: 4 EP: 24)
When the main character Will’s deadbeat father, Lou, attempts to be a part of Will’s life, Will becomes overwhelmed with emotion, only to be brought back to reality when Lou leaves again. Will breaks down to his uncle Phil, even as he tries to not care. This heart-to-heart moment is by far the most emotional scene in the show and makes you full of emotion even if you can’t put yourself in Will’s shoes. This episode really shows how even your family can let you down and how important a father figure can be and understanding the feeling of abandonment of grief as she welcomes a new era in her life without her husband. This episode shows an accurate representation of grieving and how it can affect people in different ways.
Considering TV shows are a form of entertainment watched almost every day, we see things put into different perspectives, especially coming from our favorite characters in our favorite shows. Seeing how issues can impact the characters and how they tackle them, shows that every problem has a solution. Without representation in the media, we would feel alone. Even adding what seems like a small detail in a show can make someone feel included. We also gain a sense of comfort if we relate to the character and see them overcome challenges similar to those in our own lives. TV shows, especially from years ago, can give us so many laughs and important life lessons we carry to the future. It’s nice to know that although TV shows may be silly, their realistic qualities can really change the audience for the better.