Picasso on the Run: Tenley Douglass

Kelly Douglass

Senior Tenley Douglass sitting in front of her artwork display.

AJ Summers, Features Writer

Senior Tenley Douglass excels at what she loves, no matter if it’s on the track or on the canvas. Douglass recently was awarded with four gold keys, five silver keys and two honorable mentions from the Scholastic Art Inviting Awards, meaning she was recognized nationally for her skill in art.
“My only goal this year was to win one more key than I did last year but when I found out how many, I was in disbelief. I was very proud of the stuff I was submitting, but it was really nice to see how my hard work paid off,” Douglass said.
Douglass has been an artist for as long as she can remember but really got her start into art her sophomore year after moving to West from Vermont. Douglass is not only a gifted artist, but a talented runner for both the cross country and track teams.
“I think that art and running both teach me that if you don’t succeed the first time, try again. Just because you have a bad race, it doesn’t define you as a runner and if you mess up on a painting you can always paint over it,” Douglass said.
Along with her keys, Douglass has just committed to run Division 1 track and cross country next year for the University of North Carolina in Greensboro. Douglass and her younger sister, junior Lillian Douglass, have both been running since they joined a program called “Girls on the Run” in elementary school. Since then, both sisters have continued to run, until Tenley Douglass started playing soccer in the second grade. Once Douglass moved from Vermont, soccer and cross country season no longer clashed and she was able to do both.
“When I saw how much fun Lilly was having with the girls and the team I decided to try it. So I tried cross country for the first time my junior year and fell in love with it,” Douglass said.
Since then, both sisters have run relays together and have even competed against each other. While Douglass has never broken any school records, she was able to assist the girls varsity cross country team in placing 3rd at the Adidas Cross Country Challenge in Cary, NC.
“She’s kind, very hard working and does a really good job being positive,” cross country coach Nate Newsome said.
Douglass joined the JV soccer team her sophomore year as a midfielder and scored numerous goals. She helped lead the girls to winning 10 games and tying two against Reagan. During her junior year Douglass decided to stay with track during the spring to boost her chances at getting a sports scholarship.
“She is what you want all athletes to be; she has a presence around her that makes everyone want to do and be better. She’s quiet but knows when to speak up and encourages everyone to give their best. Just her positive, keep fighting, attitude is infectious and it helps everyone.” JV soccer coach Jaclyn Showers said.
Douglass not only plans to go to UNCG for running, but also major in art and apply for the Bachelor of Fine Arts program in animation to one day work for Disney.