Fore! Boys golf is driving to win

Matthew Lee, Sports Writer

When your team consists mostly of seniors, it tends to be a good marker of success – until they leave. This year’s boys golf team is experiencing just that after graduating 10 of their 12 players from last year, including four out of their top five. With only two returning players, the team is looking to pave their own path with a much younger team.
“Our biggest expectation is just learning how to compete. We’ve got two guys that played on the team last year, and with everyone else being inexperienced [in matches], our guys have to go out on the course and learn how to play their best match,” head coach Kevin King said.
The two returning players starting for this year’s group are sophomore Logan Garrison and junior Hershal Patel. Last season, Garrison played in the top five and will be this year’s team’s number one. As the presumptive leader based on match experience, he has lofty expectations for himself while hoping to see the rest of the group succeed as well.
“For the team, the main goals for this year are to improve scores from last year and just consistently get better from course to course. For me, I especially want to qualify for regional and state individual playoffs and make all-conference first team,” Garrison said.
Patel will take over as the team’s number two in match play. Although he only played in a few matches last year, having experience in varsity competition will help him guide the new members with no match experience on the team towards a successful varsity career.
“Personally, I want to start playing better and shoot lower scores to help the team in tournaments, but with a bunch of new kids on the team, I also can help forge their paths in the right way, which will help them play better and shoot lower scores,” Patel said.
Rounding out the top five players are first-time golf members sophomore Andrew Koster, freshman Aiden Koontz and senior Chris Cornett. Both Koontz and Cornett have backgrounds in other sports that have helped them compete in golf: Koontz was on the wrestling team this past winter, and Cornett was on the baseball team for the past three years before switching to golf this season. These two will look to use their experience in other sports to help them perform at a higher level while encouraging their teammates to excel as well.
“Golf is such a mental game, and sometimes, all someone needs is a little encouragement to overcome adversity. While I’m new to the golf team, I’m not new to West athletics. I learned a lot about leadership from Coach Hooker and Coach Johnson as a member of the wrestling team, and I hope to apply that experience to golf,” Koontz said.
However, the overwhelming sentiment from all players is how much fun they have while playing golf. Regardless of who they are playing with, all of the players have a good time engaging in a sport they truly love.
“I love being outdoors in nature while being able to meet all types of new people that share the same passion I have. When it comes to a team, it’s having a group of guys that are not only teammates but also some of my friends for life even after high school and people that will always support you,” Garrison said.
Following the first conference match on Monday, March 6, the team looks to improve match by match throughout the season. Although replicating the success of last year’s team may be a difficult task, molding the younger players and creating a strong foundation while enjoying the experience of playing golf is the team’s ultimate goal.