Remembering the Titan: Head Coach Adrian Snow stepping down

Dylan Williamson

Snow speaking with his players.

Holden Schmidt, Sports Writer

Adrian Snow will go down as the most successful football coach in school history. Overall he has lead the Titans to 122 wins, the most of any West football coach, won four conference championships, reached the third round of the state playoffs four times, earned four conference coach of the year awards and helped 88 West players go on to play college football.
After his 15 years here at the helm of the program and the extensive list of career accomplishments he has garnered, Snow decided it’s finally time for his career as a football coach to come to an end. Snow addressed his team last Thursday in the PAC to inform them of his resignation as head football coach, and submitted his official resignation earlier this week.
“I turned in my resignation this morning [Nov. 16] and my last day will be December 2nd,” Snow said.
Snow’s career began three decades ago when he was hired as the offensive line coach at Surry Central High School in 1992. The man who got him that position was his mentor and inspiration that led him to become a football coach.
“Alex Mebane was my high school football coach and got me started in the business, he’s a good one,” Snow said.
After coaching at both Surry Central and Watauga High School, Snow was hired to be the coach at West in 2008. Throughout his time Snow led the Titans to the state playoffs 13 times, with his favorite moment at West coming in the 2013 postseason campaign.
“The year we beat East Forsyth in the state playoffs, that was a pretty good win,” Snow said.
The West football program has truly flourished these past 15 years, and now that Snow’s moving on, he has a simple message for whoever is lucky enough to take his spot.
“Be yourself, come in here and do a good job; do what’s right by the kids,” Snow said.
For Snow, being a high school coach has always been about the kids: about his players who are the heart and soul of every team. His job has been to guide them on and off the field, and he’s tried to be the best role model he can.
“I try to do the right thing most of the time as a human. That’s a struggle sometimes, we all fall short, but I just try to lead the way by example,” Snow said.
Being a coach is such a unique job because of the relationship between player and coach. It’s not just what Snow can do for his players to make them better at football, or even just about what he can do to make them better people. The cyclical relationship between Snow and his players means that they are just as important in his life as he is in theirs. The team is like a family, and Snow feels very fortunate for what he has learned from being a part of that.
“They’re great. It’s been cool just to be around them, be a part of their lives, and they let me be a part of the journey. It’s been nice,” Snow said.
With him now stepping out of their lives, Snow told his players that there was change to come, but they must face the adversity and keep going.
“At the end of the day it’s gonna be different and that’s okay. Change is good and hopefully they will find somebody a whole lot better,” Snow said.
The relationships Snow has been able to build, the culture of the school, and the massive amount of support from the community have been the greatest parts for him of being the coach here at West.
“It’s all about the people,” Snow said.
But now it’s time for Snow to take a break from all the stresses that have come with being a coach, as shortly after his resignation Snow will go to work for Riddell, the industry leader in football equipment. Even though his time at West is coming to an end, he will always remember the Titans.
“It’s a great place, and I will always bleed green,” Snow said.