Athlete of the Month: Yasmine Paige

Ella Ashby

Senior Yasmine Paige poses for a photo.

Dylan Williamson, Sports Writer

Varsity field hockey is on a roll with leadership of senior midfielder Yasmine Paige. Not only is this a crucial part of her life, she is a crucial part of her team. Improving their morale and atmosphere. Her impressive combination of skill and guidance has led the team to a 3-2 record in the past five games.
She brings nothing but positivity to the team, and is loved not only by teammates and coaches, but by everyone around her.
“She brings a great attitude, is very much willing to teach and coach our underclassmen who are in need of help and she is always there for her teammates when they need it,” head coach Ann Marie Westmoreland said.
Field hockey has been an essential part of her high school years, starting with a teammate her freshman year who she looked up to.
“My biggest inspiration to start playing field hockey was my former teammate Makayla (trying to find last name); she was the only other black girl on the team and I wanted to be as good as her,” Paige said.
Makayla contributed to Paige’s passion and love for the sport of field hockey and thanks to her Paige still plays today. She has been playing field hockey for 4 years.
“Originally, I just wanted a sport that would keep me in shape for basketball, but it didn’t take long for me to realize that field hockey was my sport,” Paige said.
The sport has also allowed her to travel to many places that she could only dream of visiting. Outside of school, she plays for a Fusion club team which is the main reason she has been able to visit these interesting places.
“I met so many people through the sport and it allowed me to play so many different tournaments at cool places, ranging from Disney to Delaware,” Paige said.
She has had an incredible impact on her teammates, helping them improve on the field and off the field as well.
“She is super encouraging and always uses encouraging words whenever we’re having a difficult time at practice, she is probably one of the kindest people I have ever met,” sophomore Addison Howe said.
Now that her high school career has came to an end, she still has hopes to get recruited to a 4-year university and continuing her field hockey career.
Fun Facts:
Favorite Athlete: Serena Williams
Favorite Artist: Steve Lacy
Favorite Food: Spaghetti
Hobbies: listening to music, volunteering, hanging out with friends
Favorite memory: Singing with teammates on bus rides to away games