Athlete of the Month: Eliza Broce

Maddy Brandon

Sophomore Eliza Broce is pictured above.

Casey Griffith, Sports Writer

The criteria for what makes a good athlete is constantly debated in the sports world. However, whatever your definition of a good athlete is, chances are track and field runner sophomore Eliza Broce checks all the boxes.

As a middle schooler, Broce didn’t talk much and was very shy. When her friend suggested she try out for cross country with her in the seventh grade, she was very nervous to try something new. Once she got into it, though, she found her niche as a runner and started to come out of her shell.

“I guess I stuck with running because I felt very confident in that environment socially, which was all very new to me,” Broce said.

With a support system by her side, Broce gradually began to step out of her comfort zone both in competition and in the world. She largely credits her team, coaches and family for what she has been able to achieve.

“I can definitely say that my biggest supporters are my parents and Coach Newsome. [My parents] have never missed a meet, not even the small ones. I do not think that I would have ever been able to harness any of my ability as a runner if Newsome wasn’t my coach. He’s always pushing me in the right direction and having me step out of my comfort zone to compete with older, more elite girls and pushing me to be the best runner possible,” Broce said.

In addition, her teammates have helped track and field to become a very special place for Broce. Her teammates have played an important role in shaping her high school career.

“Track and field has always been incredibly important to me because it has strung so much of my life and my personality together. My teammates and coaches are like my second family, and honestly I don’t think I’d be able to get through the training process without them,” Broce said.

Now in her third season of track and field, Broce has become a very important member of the team. Her strength as a runner has improved greatly since starting high school.

“Once I started training with Newsome as my coach and running more regularly, my results in racing started to become [apparent] more quickly, and I found a lot more success in my running career, which I’d never had before,” Broce said.

Broce’s dedication and happy-go-lucky attitude don’t go unnoticed by her coaches and teammates. Her perseverance is one of the things that makes her stand out in races.

“She is easygoing and humble even though she is a tremendous runner… She works hard and performs at a high level. She has grown in [her] ability to manage expectations and the anxiety of being one of the state’s best distance runners,” head coach Nate Newsome said.

Broce’s success so far has not stopped her from striving for more; the runner has her eyes set on the prize this season, hoping to beat some of her personal records and remain consistent in her races.

“I had sort of a rough [cross country] season, so I’m hoping to make a comeback with this track season. Hopefully, within the next few meets I’ll be somewhere within the 5:00-5:10 [range] regularly in the 1600-meter. I’m excited to see what I can do in the 1000-meter too, and maybe even PR in the 3200-meter,” Broce said.

As the season revs up, Broce is ready to race towards a legacy she has already started to build.

Here are some fun facts about Broce:

Events: 4 x 400-meter, 4 x 800-meter, 1000-meter, 1600-meter and 3200-meter

Pre/post-meet traditions: We always have a team cheer before every race

Favorite movie: None

Favorite dog breed: All of them

Favorite kind of breakfast food: Rice cakes

Craziest thing you’ve ever done: Went to New York City for nationals