Swinging Into Action: Boys tennis prepares for season

Dylan Williamson, Sports Writer

The boys tennis team is hoping to live up to last year’s season as undefeated conference champs. Filled with determination and dedicated players the team is ready to win.
Last year’s season was the strongest in school history; they ended up not only winning the conference but also advanced into the regional tournament. Head coach Sara Cranford believes this year’s team has as much potential if not more then last seasons, and might accomplish similar feats.
“Unless other teams had great players come in that are absolute ringers, we had the best team last year and went undefeated and have a bullseye on our back. We have our team just as good as ever, so I definitely think we are the team to beat and will repeat as conference champions,” Cranford said.
While some changes have occurred, players are still staying confident in the team’s abilities.
“We seem to be a different team than last year, but we have continued to put in work over the summer and in our free time. I am confident in our capabilities on and off the court,” senior captain Ethan Schiedel said.
Even with the departure of eight seniors, this year’s team remains experienced, with 11 returning players from last season including senior captains Gavin Lamb, Jeffrey Lyons and Ethan Schiedel. Joining the group are four newcomers who are willing to learn from their more experienced teammates and are ready to take on any challenges that come their way. Returning and new players all have a similar goal in mind: to improve everyday.
“My goals are to win matches, improve my tennis skills and keep a good team environment,” sophomore John Howell said.
With the size of this team’s roster, there will be plenty of players available on match day. Cranford has confidence in all of her players and believes that each player has his own individual strengths.
“We have a lot of depth this year so that allows me to go deep into the lineup and make any changes that I feel are necessary,” Cranford said.
Cranford has confidence and the team is hoping to carry over their success from last season into this year and become back- to- back conference champions.