Turn the page on the classics: A new chapter of young adults books that you should read

Recent+young+adult+books+to+read+instead+of+the+classics.+

Internet

Recent young adult books to read instead of the classics.

Claire Reinthaler, Features Writer

They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera (2017)
They Both Die At The End is a dystopian novel based in New York City. The book features two teenage boys, Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio, who both get calls from the futuristic company Death-Cast. The company tells people when they’re going to die 24 hours beforehand. Mateo and Rufus start out the day of Sept. 5 as strangers, but when they learn of their imminent deaths, they get in contact through an app called Last Friend, which helps “Deckers” (the people who are going to die) get to know new people on their last day. The two of them meet up for one final adventure and come to realize that the people you’re with are far more important than anything else.
Read if you enjoyed: The Giver quartet, The Shatter Me series
Chain of Gold by Cassandra Clare (2020)
Chain of Gold is the first book in Cassandra Clare’s new The Last Hours series, part of her larger Shadowhunter Chronicles. The urban fantasy novel takes place in 1903 and follows 16-year-old demon-hunter Cordelia Carstairs as she arrives in London. There she meets up with her childhood best friends and fellow Shadowhunters Lucie Herondale, and Lucie’s older brother James, with who Cordelia is secretly in love with. But there’s only one problem: James is sworn to love someone else. As a supernatural plague spreads throughout London, Cordelia must summon her inner strength in order to battle the demons on the street, as well as the demons of her heart.
Read if you enjoyed: The Harry Potter series, the Shadow and Bone trilogy
Lore by Alexandra Bracken (2021)
Lore is The Darkest Minds’ author Alexandra Bracken’s newest fantasy novel, featuring a modern twist on ancient Greek mythology. The week of the Agon, which happens every seven years, the nine Greek gods are forced into mortality for a week, and the hunt begins. For the descendants of these gods, it’s an opportunity to gain power. Because anyone who manages to kill a god takes their place and their immortality once the Agon is over.
This time, the Agon is happening in New York City, home of 16-year-old Lore Perseous, a hunter of the house of Perseous. Lore left that all behind years ago though when her parents and younger sisters were brutally murdered by the leader of a rival house – who is now a god. When she is offered a deal by the original Athena – a deal that would allow her to finally avenge her family’s deaths – she is pulled back into the world of the gods and forced to make decisions that will impact not only her own life but also the fate of the world.
Read if you enjoyed: The Percy Jackson series, The Pegasus series
One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus (2017)
One of Us is Lying is one of those rare books that has consistently sat on The New York Times’ bestseller list since the day it came out. As of the week of Sept. 26, the novel is No. 2 on the list for young adult hardcovers. One of Us is Lying is about five high school students who stay after school for detention one day. The five of them have nothing in common; they’re about as different as you can get. That all changes, however, when only four of them come out alive.
With perspectives from all four suspects, readers are left wondering what the characters aren’t revealing – or if there’s something else at play.
There’s also a new highly anticipated TV series for the novel streaming on Peacock. The first episode aired Oct. 7.
Read if you enjoyed: The Truly Devious trilogy
There are so many great books out there, and while the classics are good, it’s always interesting to try some newer novels. No matter what genre you like to read, or even if you don’t like to read at all, your favorite book is out there. Give one of these a try, and maybe you’ll find it. If not, keep looking. It’ll be worth the wait.