Sophomores’ Standpoint: What is COVID’s effect on the class of 2024?

Students+walking+the+breezeway%2C+sophomores+almost+as+lost+as+the+freshman.+

Ben Radspinner

Students walking the breezeway, sophomores almost as lost as the freshman.

Claire Reinthaler, Features Writer

Starting high school can be a worrisome and stressful experience. No one would deny that the class of 2024 had one of the most unusual freshman years. Then add the responsibility of managing Zoom and virtual classes, as well as the numerous fears that accompany a worldwide pandemic. Many students were left feeling confused and concerned about how this abnormal year would affect their entire high school career. Nearly everyone was prepared to go back to school, no matter the cost, and now it’s finally happened: school is back in-person, five days a week, as safely as possible. But this year’s sophomores face new challenges: navigating the struggles that come along with COVID restrictions and mask mandates, while trying to remember how to get
to classes, and helping freshmen do the same.

“I know a couple of freshmen and they’re so nervous,” sophomore Caroline Hoover said.

She also added, “I’ve just been kind of keeping a lookout on anyone who seems like they’re lost, because I was there, and it’s very scary.”

Some sophomores have also found navigating campus to be a challenge.

“I find it hard to find classrooms for clubs and sports in other buildings or pods,” sophomore Amber Summers said, “The biggest difference from last year is how crowded it is in the buildings and on the sidewalks. Even with these challenges, I still manage to get to my classes on time.”

For others, it has not been an issue.

“I love campus since it isn’t huge and the buildings don’t move,” sophomore Andrew Green commented. “My first time on campus, I brought a map and a compass as a joke, but I found my way without them.”

Sophomores also touched on what this year has been like for them so far and what types of experience they are hoping for.

“I’m hoping to make more friends this year,” Summers commented, “However, the biggest thing I’m hoping for this school year is the girls’ soccer season. I didn’t really get to experience it at all last year… I’m excited to get back to playing this year with my teammates.”

“I was telling a lot of people, this feels like my freshman year,” Hoover said, “I’m a sophomore, and I feel like this is my freshman year because I’m new to everything, as well as other people, as well as freshmen… I feel like we’re kind of all grouped together right now.”

“I’m hoping to meet more people [this year],” Green stated. “Unlike last year, there are a lot more people here, and I’m able to meet more than one or two people from my classes… Learning was hard last year, and I don’t think we as students should be criticized for it. Circumstances weren’t leaning in our favor, and as long as we get back on track, things will work out.”

This past year and a half has certainly been different. Everyone has had their struggles and hardships. Maybe this wasn’t exactly what everyone thought the class of 2024 would be remembered for, having their freshman year during COVID. In the end, though, the sophomores are doing what everyone has been doing since March of 2020: making the best of the situation they’re given.