Top 6 LGBTQ+ coming-of-age films you need to watch

Mallory Hearn, Guest Writer

The LGBTQ+ community has long been stereotyped and discriminated against in the media. Diverse representation is necessary and life-saving for many, which is why having a variety of films dealing with identity is so important in today’s society. These six LGBTQ+ films accurately portray the lives of young adults dealing with discrimination, sexuality, and acceptance.

1. Booksmart (2019)

Two academic superstars are determined to cram four years of missed fun into the one night before graduation, Amy and Molly have a crazy adventure. Booksmart treats Amy’s sexuality as simply matter-of-fact as she spends the film pursuing a girl she has a crush on. Not knowing exactly what to do, Amy makes many mistakes and learns to accept herself in every way.

2. Lady Bird (2017)

An artistically inclined and highly opinionated 17-year-old girl comes of age in Sacramento, California after learning to accept herself and voice her non-traditional opinions. Dealing with many messy relationships including her parents, ex-boyfriend, and her best friend, Lady Bird realizes the importance of her own happiness and how much family truly means. This film is one-of-a-kind and leaves you wanting more.

3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

15-year-old Charlie, mourning the suicide of his best friend, tries to survive high school by forcing himself to participate in school functions- to prevent himself from falling back into his depression. He finds himself being taken under the wing of a few seniors, and he has never been so excited to have friends. Finally being happy, Charlie experiments with his sexuality, but underlying problems from the past cause him to spiral out of control.

4. Call me By Your Name (2017)

In 1980s Italy, romance blossoms between a 17-year-old boy Elio and a 24-year-old Oliver hired as his father’s research assistant. This passionate film goes through every emotion imaginable- guilt, embarrassment, understanding, confusion and so many more. Elio and Oliver’s love is like none other, and I can promise you this film will leave you with an indescribable feeling.

5. Moonlight (2016)

As the first Best Picture winner to feature LGBTQ+ themes, Moonlight depicts the life of a young adult, Chiron, growing up black and gay. Overlooked by society, Chiron learns to accept his sexuality, race, and identity, thanks to the inclusive community that raised him. Moonlight reaches a depth many films struggle to portray.

6. Love, Simon (2018)

Simon keeps a huge secret from his family, his friends, and all of his classmates: he’s gay. When that secret is threatened, Simon must face everyone and come to terms with his identity. Simon has a connection with a boy, Blue, by email, but the only problem is that Simon has no idea who he’s talking to. Simon must discover who Blue is, and, along the way, he finds himself as well.