Class Act: Teachers stay connected to more than technology

Since shifting to online learning, teachers are going above and beyond for their students. Bryant makes learning fun for her English II honors class.

Tavia Gilmore

Lillian Reid, Features Writer

We all know how difficult it has been for students to operate online, but despite that, students also notice and appreciate the teachers who are trying to make it better for them. Students comment on some of their favorite teachers and how they’ve been especially helpful this year.
Biology teacher Jennifer Malacane has always expressed her love of teaching and gratitude for her students. She makes sure that students know that she really cares about them.
“She tells us after every class ‘good job,’ and that ‘your teacher loves you,’” freshman Maya Viands-Reyes said.
English teacher Emily Satterfield continually challenges her students to go further and think for themselves.
“Mrs. Satterfield gives many helpful resources and constantly allows us to ask questions and discuss harder topics. She also makes class interesting and covers social injustice topics,” freshman Mallory Hearn said.
Theresa Bryant is known amongst students as a fun-loving and creative English teacher.
“She’s always so understanding, and she legitimately cares about her students,” junior Arianna Barnett said.
Then there’s Daphne Robertson, who teaches Math III and AP Statistics. Although she has a busy schedule, she always makes sure to go the extra mile for her students.
“I haven’t really missed a beat on teaching the material, but I do think the interaction I would normally have with kids and the dialogue and questions in class are lacking during this online learning,” Robertson continued, “My take away from this experience is a reminder to not take our education for granted. Our experiences and the parts of high school that we may forget have meaning. I miss seeing kids in the halls — the breezeway full, even the bells ringing. I’m ready to return with all of our students back in the classroom!”
“[She] makes the class fun and jokes around with us,” freshman Maria Karagiorgis said.
Likewise, chemistry teacher Anne Atkins always ensures that her students have a good understanding of the content.
“I admire how much she cares about her students and how much she wants them to succeed. I also kind of think of her as a role model because she’s so passionate about STEM, which isn’t something you see in many women. I definitely think that she’s trying to end the stigma that women can’t be good at STEM which is so inspirational,” senior Aubrey Hilton said.
It’s clear that Katie Dykeman always tries her best to make the subject matter not only appealing but memorable to students too.
“I think the best approach to online learning is to be candid and flexible. I don’t know what 90% of my students even look like, but that doesn’t mean I am not going to try to know them as a person. Every day, I ask a personal question to my students — whether it’s about their favorites (color, animal, vegetable, etc.), their personal goals, or to just give them a space to rant and write down whatever they are thinking. Former students might be glad to know that Dad Joke Fridays have turned into Dad Joke ThurFridays,” Dykeman said.
“She tries to make our class as upbeat as possible. She just always tries to give us fun activities, and she has a very bubbly personality,” sophomore Marilyn Reid said.
Returning history teacher is Debra Troxell. Students love her unique approach to teaching with how she tends to assign less homework and does more in-class and interactive activities.
“What I think is working for me and the students [is having] a well-designed, easy to use Canvas page so students know which assignment to work on for that day, flexibility with assignment due dates, a lighter workload, open note assessments, [making] all lectures available online [and] giving extra credit for turning in assignments on time with little deduction for late assignments,” Troxell said.
“I’m enjoying her AP Human Geo class because she is very flexible with due dates and makes it very clear when we have tests. She answers emails very quickly and respectfully, and her Zoom class is like a breath of fresh air because she’s funny and does her best not to stress us out. I feel like I’m actually learning in her class,” junior Erin Del Puerto said.
Jamie Livengood still knows how to connect with students, even through a screen.
“She always tells stories, and she is always going back over stuff to make sure everyone knows what she’s talking about,” sophomore Cate Etchason said.
English teacher Brooke Gartley is most popular for her Speech & Debate class, which was renewed for Speech & Debate II just this year. Students rave about how genuine she is.
“I believe that the best way to tackle learning while being sensitive to mental and emotional needs is to be understanding and give grace when you can, but still hold students accountable for their work and behavior. I tend to utilize a lot of tough love; sometimes kids need a virtual hug and a kick in the right direction,” Gartley said.
“She is a highly engaging teacher who makes learning her material actually fun,” senior Grant Huff said.
Students usually have so much to say about Karl Koeval, a common student-favorite. Whether students are touched by his outlandish stories or his memorable way of teaching, he is well known around the campus.
“He actually shows us a music video or a new song every day before class starts, and I think it’s really nice. And I think with all the circumstances of being online, he’s still really positive, and his personality is great,” senior Erica Chance said.
And where would Koeval be without his partner in crime, Stuart Egan? A big part of it could be because he always encourages and helps students to the best of his ability.
“Mr. Egan is, like, super helpful, he’s helped me with college stuff as well as been super lenient with my work. He really understands what we’re going through and does everything in his power to help us, not hurt us,” senior Julie Sams said.
Continuing with our senior teachers, we have Gant Hewett. He sticks to the point and hits all of the necessary bullet points with an always appreciated splash of dry humor.
“Learning online requires a lot of internal motivation and self-discipline. The most important thing is staying on top of one’s work, but that can be tough to do in isolation,” Hewett continues, “There is no substitute for face-to-face interaction — with colleagues, students, friends, family. Zoom is great. We’ve been fortunate to have the ability to “connect” with each other remotely, but it’s not the same. We are social animals. We need regular, in-person interaction with others.”
“This is my second time having him, and he’s one of the best teachers I’ve ever had because he makes the class fun by assigning labs and whenever he’s going over notes, he keeps us engaged and makes a few jokes to keep it fun! He’s very understanding with everything being online and is patient with us and organizes his Canvas page so you know what’s assigned and when everything’s due. Dr. Hewett is overall such a good teacher that gets you excited about what you’re going to learn; it’s one of those classes you look forward to going to!” senior Emma Fiorani said.
Cristina Koch is similar in that she is also very efficient and organized, giving students the necessary information clearly every time. It could be partially due to this teaching style that she has been able to teach nearly every math course available for high school students in her years at West, ranging from Math I to AP AB Calculus.
“I think students have been successful with online learning if they have figured out a way to manage their new routine, and they have been active participants in their classes. Communication is key. It would help me if all students checked Canvas and school email on a daily basis!” Koch continues, “It is important how you frame things for yourself. With all that is going on in the world around us and all the changes that it has caused for us this year, it is easy to wallow in the negatives — what we’ve missed, what we’ve lost, etc. I think I have learned that I have to reframe my thinking because there are some positives to this experience for me and for students. If I allow myself to focus on those positives, it can really change my mood and my attitude.”
“She has been helpful by doing the math problems during our Zoom and with us (not just showing us the answers). I also really like Delta Math because it’s a helpful resource to learn and reinforce what she has shown us. I also think it’s good she offers tutoring and responds quickly to assignment questions,” senior Haley Lambeth said.
Last but certainly not least, there’s history teacher Eric Dunham always makes students feel heard by forming comedic connections in his classes with each student. It is obvious students look forward to attending his classes.
“For me as a teacher, the best approach is creating some type of routine for students to expect when they come to class. This year has been difficult for everyone involved in the education process (students, teachers, administrators, etc.). I think if students know what we are going to be doing when they come to class on most days, it makes it just a bit easier for them. I never liked online classes as a student in college, and now I know [I] do not like them as a teacher,” Dunham said.
“He just makes class fun, and he cares. He feels like more of a friend than a teacher,” junior Dalton Nichols said.
A universal truth for almost all teachers is that they beg you to turn on your camera, and maybe even interact by asking questions. Some teachers pick up on non-verbal cues, some teachers find it to be more motivational to teach to real faces, and some just want to know who you are! Another thing almost every teacher mentioned was how they recognize how much effort students are putting into school right now. Teachers want you to know that they acknowledge and appreciate what you’re doing.
All in all, the students very much appreciate the work that all teachers are putting into teaching.