Viewers beware; you’re in for a scare

Internet

There are many movies to be enjoyed on Halloween ranging from fun for families to horror thrillers.

Clara LaRue, Features Writer

Spooky season is finally here, bringing with it the most thrilling and goosebump-raising movies of all time. So grab a few friends, some apple cider, cozy blankets and plop down on the couch to binge-watch all these Halloween movies to get in the spooky spirit.

Hocus Pocus: A classic and all-time favorite, Hocus Pocus is a story of a teenage boy who moves to Salem, where he accidentally awakens three conniving witches. With the help of a magical cat and his new friend, Allison, he has to fight to put them back where they came from.

“Hocus Pocus [is the best movie to watch for Halloween], because it has a lot of good scenes and a good plot,” sophomore August Navarrete said.

The Nightmare Before Christmas: Blending two holidays together, this movie follows the journey of Jack Skellington, king of Halloweentown, as he travels through Christmastown.

The Nightmare Before Christmas [is the best movie], because you get a Christmas and Halloween movie in one,” sophomore Olivia Dosher said.

Coraline: This stop-motion film is totally creepy. Watch out because this story about a girl named Coraline, who finds a secret door and enters a parallel universe, will send shivers down your spine. 

“[I like the movie] Coraline, because it’s actually scary,” sophomore Alexandra Parker said.

Halloween: Beware! This thriller will make you sleep with one eye open. Halloween is a terrifying film about a crazed killer on the loose on Halloween night after his transfer to a new facility went horribly wrong. A traumatized Laurie Strodes, portrayed by actress Jamie Lee Curtis, prepares to meet her attacker once again.

“Halloween is funny and gets you in the spooky spirit,” said junior Gabriela Ferrer.

Halloweentown: A classic Disney favorite, Halloweentown is a story of a girl, Marnie Piper, who feels anything but normal. When her grandma comes to visit on Halloween, something unexpected is revealed. Marnie, with the help of her siblings, find out they come from a family of witches, when they follow their grandma to a mystical place called Halloweentown.

“[I like] Halloweentown, because it’s entertaining and it’s a classic,” senior Sean Hall said.

Casper: This cute film is guaranteed to put you in a good mood and is definitely a fall favorite. An enjoyable and amusing classic, this movie showcases Casper, the friendly ghost, who lives in a Haunted Mansion with his three disagreeable uncles. After longing for a friend for almost 100 years, he just might get what he’s been looking for.

It: Creepy and suspenseful, this flick will make you laugh while also sending chills down your spine. Based on the 1986 novel by Stephen King, It tells the story of seven children who are terrorized by a creepy clown called “Pennywise”. The movie is known for its signature red balloon.

“[I like the movie] It, because it gets you in the Halloween spirit,” sophomore McKenna Singer said.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown: The classic Charlie Brown movies are great pick-me-ups and this certain one is perfect for fall. This story is about our favorite Peanuts gang celebrating Halloween while Linus waits expectantly for the Great Pumpkin. 

“[I like the movie] It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, because it’s a classic and Snoopy is my favorite,” sophomore Mandi Freiberg said.

Beetlejuice: Creepy and funny, this imaginative movie will satisfy your spooky spirit desires. Directed by Tim Burton, this movie revolves around a young couple who died and became ghosts of their former abode. Beetlejuice aims to scare away the inhabitants.

Hush: A horror film for all the daring individuals out there who don’t mind a little terror and fright as well as a few goosebumps. This eerie movie certainly is hair-raising, scribing a deaf writer who lives in the woods, when a masked killer appears in her window. She must fight for her life.

“Hush [is a good movie to watch for Halloween], because it’s really scary and gets you in the Halloween mood,” freshman Maddie Scheier said.