The First Impression: Students need to dress up

Lexy Hairston

Students show off what they wear while walking to lunch. What kind of impression did your first day outfit give off?

Jenna Jordan, Opinion Writer

The first week of class is the time to see your friends, get to know your schedule and to get back into the groove of waking up early. It’s also the time to make the best first impression you can. When you walk into class, you should be seen as a person to respect. I don’t think that sweatpants and a T-shirt make people see that in you.

The way you dress is one of the first things people notice about you. Whether your style is edgy, preppy, bohemian or sporty, you should look and feel like you own the breezeways. Your teachers need to look at you as someone who is going to be responsible for their work and their behavior. Now I’m not trying to say you need to wear a dress or a suit Monday through Friday, but save the athleisure for week two. It’s only five days. Putting a few extra minutes into your appearance is not going to kill you. 

When I asked a few of my classmates what they wanted their teachers to think of them, the most common response I got was that the students wanted their teachers to think they are hard workers. While the largest portion of that impression comes from hard work, looking put together never hurts. 

However, the clothes you wear can affect how you feel. I have definitely been one to come to school in sweatpants and a T-shirt, but I didn’t feel my best. The work you put into your academics might not be your best when you don’t feel good about yourself, whether you recognize it or not. 

Pretend that during the first week of class, everyone is trying to take your picture. It’s an easy way to figure out what you think is appropriate to wear. If you think it’s joggers, I won’t be the one to tell you that you’re wrong. I’ll just be thinking it. I still keep my view that you should dress to impress during the first week of class. After that, you can focus on being a little more comfortable.