Do Or Do Not: There is no trying with resolutions

Maddy Brandon, Features Writer

Almost everyone has high hopes for the new year from the moment the ball drops at midnight. Unfortunately, our determination to stick with our resolutions is often cut short. According to an “Inc.” article by Jeff Haden, 80 percent of people who make a New Year’s resolution drop it by the end of February. Here are a few resolutions that you might want to either consider or kick to the curb.

Don’ts-

Increase in Fitness: The majority of resolutions center around the health of that individual person. The concept of increasing one’s fitness is a common goal among people and should definitely be pursued. However, in terms of resolutions, it is the first one to go.

Internet
People running on a treadmill. This is one of the many machines that people use to get fit in the New Year.

Eating Healthy: Another health-related resolution that is often kicked to the curb is the idea of eating healthier. Trying to incorporate more fruits and vegetables or following a strict diet seems to get old before the new year has even begun.

Internet
A plethora of different healthy foods. People try and stick to a strict diet but unfortunately it rarely works.

Saving Money: To add to the list of often failed resolutions comes the idea of saving one’s money. People often claim they will spend less and become more rational with their paychecks. However, the numbers show time and time again that the person doesn’t decide how much money they spend; their own fluctuation of salary does.

Internet
Lots of money. People attempt to save the money they earn in the New Year but rarely accomplish the goal.

Deprivation of favorite things: Everyone has their “weakness” when it comes to a guilty pleasure. Whether that includes Netflix, junk food or shopping, the resolutions that involve depriving yourself of your own guilty pleasure are usually ditched earlier on. A year is a long time, and withholding your temptations for that long is a very rare occurrence.

Internet
Cutting out sugar. Sugar is one of the many things people enjoy that they try to cut out.

Exclusion of Toxic People: While often thought of as a great resolution, it is also not an effective one. The act of leaving your toxic relationships in the year before is a great idea, until you forget there is a whole year ahead of you. This resolution is often acted upon once but then never again, leaving one a whole year to re-surround themselves with new toxic peers.

Internet
People gossiping. Trying to cut these people out may sound like a good resolution, but is very hard to achieve.

Do’s-

Spend more time with family and friends: This is a simple and achievable resolution, sure to last through the new year. It is an attainable goal, making it easier to accomplish. Spending time with friends and family is found to increase happiness. This goal is both achievable and not too stressful to uphold.

Internet
Family and friends around a table. Trying to spend more time with friends and family is a simple yet effective goal.

Self-image and body positivity: Asking to improve yourself physically for a resolution can often lead to disappointment and low self esteem. A better way to make your year happier is to increase your own body positivity and self-image so rather than cutting yourself down, you build yourself up.

Internet
Being positive about one’s self. This is an effective resolution because it helps lift up one’s views on them self.

Learn a new skill or hobby: Learning a new skill or hobby can fill the time that is often wasted on screen time and worrying. It will also give you a sense of accomplishment, and learning something new is a very attainable and stress free goal over the span of a year.

Internet
Writing down the new skill being learned. Learning a new skill helps one to feel accomplished and like a new person.

Small and specific: Try to focus on the small and specific things you could improve on, like smiling more or giving someone different a compliment everyday. The small things add up and leave you feeling better about yourself and leave others feeling better after having encountered you. It is a fun way to constantly challenge yourself in a very relaxed environment.

Internet
Holding the door for someone. This is one of the many “small things” someone can do that add up in the end.

Get more sleep: Most people struggle with the lack of sleep in the working world as well as the student world. Overwhelming work can lead to sleep deprivation, and a lack of sleep can cause people to become negative minded and lethargic throughout the day. This resolution may take time in order for people to grow accustomed to a new sleeping pattern, but it will prove to be positive change in the long run.

Internet
Getting more sleep. This not only helps with boosting energy but also mood.

Resolutions are a great way to set goals, but in order to attain those goals they must be achievable. Many resolutions today are so general and broad that it is hard to achieve them. Smaller, less general and more personal resolutions will prove to be the most efficient and long-term for this New Year’s season.