Students Say What: COVID-19 Vaccinations

Morgan Holmes, News Writer

As this school year comes to an end with springtime weather and wide-spread access to vaccinations, all things pandemic related are finally looking up. The COVID-19 vaccines are becoming widely available, as students who are 16 and older can now be vaccinated. According to Rochester First, since the older population has been vaccinated, the virus is now affecting the younger generation.
Pfizer-BioNTech is the only vaccine for individuals who are 16 and older. However, the Moderna vaccine, as well as the Johnson & Johnson Janssen vaccine are for people ages 18 and older. According to the CDC, some side effects may include pain/soreness in the arm you get the shot in, along with redness and/or swelling. You may feel tired, have headaches, chills, muscle pain, fever and nausea. If you are experiencing this, talk to your doctor about taking over the counter medicine such as ibuprofen, aspirin, antihistamines or acetaminophen. Some students have shared their take on the COVID-19 vaccine and if they have received it.
“I got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine about a week ago. My only symptom was soreness in my arm that persisted for a couple of days, no worse than a flu shot. I think I might get symptoms when I get my second dose, but I’m not too worried. Also, the Pfizer vaccine is less heavy on the symptoms than the Moderna,” sophomore Caroline Lew said.
“I have not gotten my vaccine yet, but I do know some people who have had symptoms of being sick after the shot. Also, I think I’ll probably feel sick too just because the vaccine is helping the human body overcome the possible symptoms covid may have with it,” junior Daysha Vaughn said.
“Yes, I actually just got the first dose a few days ago and will get the second dose in a few weeks. I got Pfizer. I’m just looking forward to hanging with the boys without worrying about COVID,” senior Humza Qureshi said.
“No, I haven’t [received] the COVID vaccine. I think if I follow guidelines I won’t get COVID,” sophomore Daisa Stephens said.
“I plan to get the vaccine because it’s never a bad thing to hurt me, and I’ll be able to likely have more access to things in college,” senior Douglas Miln said.
“I have not gotten the vaccine. I will get it as other people get it,” sophomore Natalie Craven said.
Vaccination clinics are located in different areas of Winston-Salem. According to WXII12, vaccines are available at pharmacies such as Walgreens and CVS, along with hospitals and medical facilities including Wake Forest Baptist Health, Novant Health and Cone Health. In the future, Publix, Walmart and Target may be distributing vaccines as well. Keep in mind, vaccines are also free of charge. As this school year ends, COVID eventually will too. The vaccines are improving as time goes on as scientists are beginning studies about vaccines for kids aged 5-11. With more people being vaccinated, there will be a lesser chance of getting COVID. Even though it will take time to get back to the way things were, slowly but surely we’re getting there.