Coast to Coast: High School Phenom Mikey Williams transfers to Lake Norman Christian

Class of 2023 5-star guard Mikey Williams announced that he will be taking his talents to the east coast.

Internet

Nick Allen, Sports Writer

Mikey Williams, ESPN’s No. 3 ranked prospect in the ESPN 25 for the class of 2023, and the No. 2 player in the state of California announced via Twitter on Sept. 21 that he is transferring from San Ysidro High School in San Diego, California, to Lake Norman Christian in Huntersville, North Carolina.
“Going to keep this short.. Man.. just so everybody knows, I am transferring to Lake Norman Christian in Charlotte, North Carolina. Leaving Southern California was hard!! Especially growing up there.. Sometimes you have to do things for the better.. understanding the bigger picture is huge. 619 is ME it’s in my DNA. I appreciate everyone who has been part of this marathon!! And I appreciate every single person in my city who’s supported me. 619 I GOT YALL!!” said Williams in a Twitter post.
Williams is a 6’2’’, combo guard from San Diego, California, who has amassed over 39,000 followers on Twitter and 2.5 million on Instagram, due to his explosive dunks, insane athleticism, and impressive highlight reels.
Things took off for the 5-star guard in the sixth grade. Williams was first noticed playing against LeBron James’ son, Bronny James. After the game, the two connected and built a very strong relationship. In eighth grade, Williams joined the North Coast Blue Chips Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) team, where he teamed up with Bronny James. Since Williams has become super close with Bronny and LeBron James calling them “family.” Playing alongside Bronny and his close relationship with the James family has definitely catapulted Mikey into the spotlight where he has since become a celebrity.
Williams was named MaxPreps National Freshman of the Year last season, averaging 29.9 points, 6.7 rebounds, and 4.9 assists per game for San Ysidro High School.
Williams broke the all-time San Diego Section single-game scoring record with 77 points in a 116-52 victory over Kearney High School (San Diego) last December.
San Ysidro won the San Diego Section Division III championship, before losing in the quarterfinals of the Division IV Southern California playoffs. San Ysidro finished with an overall record of 26-9 last season.
Williams’ move to North Carolina comes in response to COVID-19 forcing California lawmakers to push back the start of high school basketball to the spring.
“Our season isn’t for seven months. And there is no guarantee we’ll have a season in California,” San Ysidro coach Terry Tucker said.
Williams’ arrival to North Carolina will allow him to play against the best competition in the country.
“I was thinking about the competition as well, you can drive and get to Atlanta in a few hours, you can drive and get to Tennessee in a few hours,” Williams told ESPN’s Paul Biancardi in a recent interview.
Williams is not a stranger to the Charlotte area, he lived in Charlotte during some of his middle school years which was another factor in his decision.
“I used to live out here in Charlotte during middle school, so I’m really familiar with Charlotte. I know a lot of people out here, and I got family out here. It came down to Texas or North Carolina,” Williams told ESPN’s Paul Biancardi.
Williams started school at Lake Norman Christian on Sept. 21 and has already gotten the chance to meet and play with his new teammates.
“My first day was Monday. There’s not a lot of kids there, and I like that. I try to stay real low-key, kind of out the way. I try to be unbothered, that’s another reason I picked the school… and it’s a Christian school, there’s a lot of great people there. It’s definitely something I need in my life to kind of balance me out and the team is really talented actually, like really talented. I was surprised by a few of them actually, so I am comfortable going to war with them,” Williams said in an interview with ESPN’s Paul Biancardi.
Lake Norman Christian finished 31-2 in 2019-20 and will be making the transition to the competitive North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA) this season as an independent. The addition of 5-star guard, Mikey Williams, only heightens their expectations.
Lake Norman Christian, less than a week after getting Mikey Williams, added another high profile transfer, Trey Green. The 5’10’’ sophomore guard, transferred from Vance High School located in Charlotte on Sept. 28. Green will join Mikey Williams in what now looks like a dynamic backcourt.
Williams, earlier this summer set the college basketball world on fire by tweeting his interest in attending an HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) after a 5-star recruit, Makur Maker, announced his decision that he would be attending an HBCU, Howard University.
In July, Williams released his top ten schools. Five of the schools in the top ten were HBCUs: Tennessee State, Texas Southern, Alabama State, North Carolina Central, and Hampton University. However, Williams is also considering going pro immediately through the NBA G-league select team, which other top prospects like Jalen Green, Jonathan Kuminga, and Isaiah Todd have already done.
Williams’ decision to transfer to Lake Norman Christian will catapult North Carolina as one of the top high school basketball states in the country. He will bring more recognition, media attention and transfers both to Lake Norman Christian and to the state of North Carolina. Williams and the addition of multiple transfers will turn Lake Norman Christian into a high school basketball powerhouse.